I'm in the PLA camp as well. Every so often I beat my head against the wall for a while, hit all my fingers with hammers, walk on some thumbtacks and then try ABS again just to remind myself how painfully frustrating it can be. Regretfully, I've just not been particularly successful there. My bad.

I've been successfully using MakerGeeks "Raptor PLA" material for several months now and heat annealing it after printing. I love how it prints, kind of buttery like ABS. (See, I was paying attention and can say nice things about ABS.) Also the Raptor PLA doesn't warp off the bed like ABS, is dishwasher safe, and extremely strong after annealing even at elevated temperatures where normal PLA materials would lose it. So far I've been succesful at using Raptor PLA in preference to ABS, with the added advantage that I can get the Raptor PLA to successfully print nearly every time.

I suspect there must be vendors other than Makergeeks with similar materials (maybe some referred to as "PLA+"?) but I do not have any hands-on experience with them. IMHO filament vendors seem not very forthcoming about their formulations, or even the physical characteristics of their materials. This makes it more difficult to compare or even identifiy the comparables. Is anyone aware of a comparitive filament chacteristics reference that is current and maintained by an independent organization?

When printing Raptor PLA I use a glass bed @ 60C with glue stick and an extruder temp of 230C. (I know the 230C seems very high for PLA, but it works really well.) I also have the door(s) open, the top off, and the cooling blower on after the first layer. I think the raw Raptor PLA filament may be a bit softer than standard PLA, so proper extruder nozzle height above the print bed, filament feed gear engagement, and filament feeder mechanism cooling and maintenance is important to avoid chewing into the filament and potentially clogging the extruder.