Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
My question to the community is as follows: Is building your own 3d printer a economically viable option provided you have the capability?

[Sure; lots of people build their own printers, although they often start with kits.]

My CNC has a 1000mm³ stage, so I should be able to produce a rather large 3d printer frame. I have found material on this to be rather scarce (most seem to be delta 3d printers), and wanted to inquire as to some guidance on doing such a project. For me, stage size is the biggest driving force. I also need a heated bed, among other things.

[Did you want to build a delta printer, or some other kind?]

I have a few more advanced questions for the community. I notice many of the 3d printers use ACME screws for their axis. Is there a particular reason v-belts are not used? Is it cost or ease of assembly? It would seem to be a good alternative as a 3d printer does not have lateral loads like a CNC does.

[Lots of printers use toothed timing belts and pulleys instead of screws.]

Lastly, am I missing a good source or community to guide me on this quest? I really appreciate any input and look forward to joining the community.
[There are other sources and communities out there - for building machines, you might check out CNCzone.com . This forum is mostly dedicated to users of 3D printers, not builders of them.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com