Close

Threaded View

Yep! XY question, sorry.

I need to produce custom 3D molds for fusing glass in a microwave kiln. Unlike regular glass kilns, microwave kilns allow me to fuse finish-ready small glass pendants and components in 3-5 mins with a 1 hour cooling period. In this instance I would be using glass frit -- very finely ground glass powder -- to fill the molds. As a small business, I need the mold making process to be accurate and easily replicable.

My goal is producing the custom molds in quantity -- preferable on demand as opposed to inventoried stock. Once I design the custom molds, I see my production options as 1) creating the prototypes by hand for casting and fabricating (inventory); or 2) 3D printing and replicating the molds.

Microwave kilns can reach 1650F or 899C in 5-10 mins of operation. My process will fuse in 1-2 min increments with pauses to check progress, and continue in 15-30 sec increments until done; usually 3-5 mins maximum fusing time.

Priority question because of my ignorance is discovering if there is a filament capable of printing a mold that can withstand the heat produced in a microwave kiln for the max fusing period. If there is not, or a way to work with a filament maker to find one, then the 3D printing platform will not meet my needs.

Thank you for the welcoming courtesy and guidance of your response. Your help in focusing my question is deeply appreciated.
    Last edited by artbyamm; 02-06-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: grammatical