3D printing has been around for several decades but was unknown to the public. Key patents expired which allowed individuals to access 3D printing at very low cost. Consequently, we have witnessed many new innovations that will benefit a wider audience. Most striking to me is the concept of a 3D printed home that will allow me to afford my own personal Gaudi inspired home in the not to distant future.

Obviously, past 3D printing technology patents have created a suboptimal benefit to society. But what about the latest and greatest 3D printing patents? If all of the latest technology was open sourced would we see a significant rise in local manufacturing and renewable sourcing, hence, reducing environmental impact on the earth.

Maybe we should have our governments purchase 3D printing technology patents and then open source them for public use. Or maybe we should just let patents expire naturally and wait it out. I wonder if this technology is beneficial enough that governments should purchase it and place it into the public domain with the goal of kickstarting public collaboration and local manufacturing.