Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
A VERY good tip indeed!

Make sure your using at least commercial grade borosilicate glass, scientific grade is better. Most windows are standard grade boro...one step below commercial. The thermal properties are horrible, and it is possible to get stress and heat cracks in such low grade glass.

A good place to look locally for glass is any place that does custom bathroom (shower) enclosures as these typically use commercial grade boro-glass.

Purchased my first glass plate from MC Master Carr...only to find out later there is company locally that does bathroom enclosures, used the higher end of commercial grade boro, and cuts me plates for $10 a piece. And to add insult to injury their shop is about 4 blocks from me lol....
McMaster is not badly priced at all but the shipping kills it if you can get commercial grade boro locally. I am not sure if I can locally here and if I could I am sure they would charge far too much but I will call the main place in my city the next time I need some. What exactly would I ask the local glass shop for? hint: Whatever your answer make it in very simple words for them because they are not the brightest bulb in the package any single time I have had to deal with them (metric makes them mad too).