I've been working on a fast path from outline drawing to die tool or cookie-cutter suitable for use with clay pottery.

Inkscape is the tool I use to create the original outlines.

I finally had reason to generate some vector/outline shapes that originated in image data.

The process of line detection or vectorization is imperfect. Depending how one has tuned what are primarily image filters, shapes may be included in the initial vector product that ya don't want in the final product.

Inkscape primarily implements the SVG drawing model.

This means that when you want to crop/clip something out of a drawing..., you effectively create a stored clipping operation.

This does not modify the underlying drawing..., but merely manipulates your view of it.

Part of my "process" involves exporting the drawing to DXF format. Unfortunately, there is no analogous operation that Inkscape understands to produce the "clipping" effect..., so..., Inkscape just simply dumps all vector data to the DXF.

Which means the thing ya didn't want..., ya get anyway.

So..., "word": before you run the "Trace Bitmap" operation in Inkscape..., and if you plan to export it to DXF, then:

• Either be ready to do "edit nodes" prior to the DXF export, or...,
  • Try to make sure the image you're vectorizing is as clean as possible.

Heh..., but once you've done that, remember: 3d printing is still pretty dang cool.