Close

Threaded View

Engineer-in-Training

S3D first layer issues?

For those of you using S3D I was curious if you see odd first layer issues?

In my case I will print a part with say .2mm layer height and set the first layer to 50% layer and 130% extrusion with a brim. The brim will print flat as can be against the glass but as soon as it starts to print the actual part the first layer is no longer compressed on the glass and it has gaps between the extrusion. I have to manually increase the extrusion % through the control panel to around 140% for the first layer to get it to stick and then turn it back to 100% for the rest of the part.

I am confident this isn't a printer homing issue because the brim prints as expected and is stuck well and my Z home seems to be very repeatable.

I looked at the Gcode and it doesn't appear that the Z axis is being raised between the brim and the actual part first layer so I am at a loss here.

One thing I have noticed about S3D is that sometimes when you set the first layer extrusion width above 100% it will actually create gaps between the first layer extrusion instead of forcing the extra material into the same space. I have seen this by changing the setting then looking at the print preview. I would really like to get this solved as it is one of the very annoying things about S3D that drives me crazy.

About the only way I can consistently keep this from happening is to set a negative offset for the Z axis but that creates other issues and really compresses the brim making a mess out of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Chadd
    Last edited by Chadd; 06-08-2015 at 12:45 PM.