Close

Threaded View

The Eaglemoss Printer

Hi,

I've just subscribed to this and the first issues have arrived. I am not happy.

Firstly, the package got badly mangled in the post. They say 4 issues a month, but only 3 were included. The linear bearing from issue 3 was missing, the binder was broken and not one of the freebies was in the parcel.
    Whilst it is not their fault the package got torn, better packing would have helped a lot.

The design software they use is Sketch Up, but it is a 30 day trial version. What happens at the end of the 30 days is not made clear. It is also a download, rather than on CD.
    I have mailed them with the above points, but they do not seem to be very quick with their replies.

Regarding the parts put together so far, I am not happy with the rods for the Y-axis linear bearing. This is a cheap, soft steel and rubbing a thumbnail along it, it has a very rough surface. The bearing itself was missing from the parcel, but I am assuming it is the type that has a plastic cage with several rows of small hardened steel balls. I know from previous engineering experience that these balls will eventually wear tracks in the shaft. The effect on the finished print when this starts to happen I leave to your imagination, not to mention the possibility of jam-ups and cooking of the stepper motor drivers. These shafts should have a good surface finish and be tougher - I will be changing mine for silver steel rod, which is mirror polished, hard and accurately ground to size. Stainless would be even better, but I happen to have some silver steel of the right diameter already in the workshop.

As to value for money, you get what you pay for. The ready built printer is certainly not cheap considering its specification, but how long will some of the very cheap ones on the market last?

Frances Couldwell
    Last edited by Frances Couldwell; 01-27-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling mistake