So I am having problems with my part cooling fan, the 'vortex fan for cooling prints' according to http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/e...ng_diagram.jpg (which is the same as provided in the kit )

I first noticed that the fan always appears to be running, but could not tell how fast. So I did a little digging.
I would issue an M106 S0 (turn off fan ) and the fan would spin to full speed. A small thread by the fan duct exit shows a lot of breeze.
I would issue an M106 S255 (turn on fan full speed) and the fan would ramp down. It would not turn off completely. A small thread by the fan duct exit show a lot of breeze.
I would issue a M106 I1 (fan disable) and the fan would ramp down. It would not turn off completely. A small thread by the fan duct exit show a lot of breeze. This works as it should (except the fan is not completely stopped )
I would issue an M107 (turn off fan ) and the fan would spin to full speed. A small thread by the fan duct exit shows a lot of breeze.

So the issue is that the control of the fan seems to be inverse to the command issued. (except for the disable fan (I1) command)

Any thoughts?