Why does someone climb a mountain? To see if they can achieve their goal. Why do some people make their own furniture when you can just go out and buy it from a manufacturer? Just like building said furniture, shooting at a range is a hobby that a lot of people really enjoy taking part in.

I believe some in this forum have already submitted the fact that just buying a 3d printer and plugging it into an outlet, doesn't mean one can produce a firearm. 3D printers take a lot of effort to get right. I am part of many many 3D groups across many many forums, and I almost daily read someone stating, "I am about to throw this POS in the trash!" or, "Anyone want to buy this printer, I can't get it to work, I've had it!". These are highly technical devices that need to be constructed (in most instances). Lets then talk about self teaching CAD software...yeah, give it a shot if you've never touched any of the multitude of available program options on the market. Now, using almost as many options to find a slicing software which involves setting wall thickness, initial layer height, print speed, infill patterns, infill %, support options, and hundreds of more setting one must experiment with in order to make even some of the most basic files a full fledged "hold in your hand" item. Temperatures, filaments, etc. The list goes on and on.

In the event someone makes a fully plastic gun, they might have trouble making a firing pin out of plastic, and surely a tough time making ammunition from plastic. I wouldn't want to fire a plastic, .04mm walled casing full of explosive powder! If I had criminal intent (which I absolutely do not), I would not waste the time learning all that was necessary to create a weapon. I would go to the local sporting good store and buy a bat. I, for one find it fascinating and challenging. With this technology, someone may develop something that enables our troops, farmers, engineers, or doctors prevail in the future.

I agree with 3Dspider: Right now people are interested in it, just because it's a novel idea, not because it is at all practical.

Our forefathers carved out pieces of wood to house the metal components in the construction of firearms, yet people still have trees in their yard.