Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Not necessarily the exact answer you are looking for, but... Repetier-Host doesn't require use of special firmware. Repetier does have a firmware build of their own, but you don't have to use it and no one has posted here about loading their i3v with it. Once you have the USB interface set up, you should be able to run Pronterface, Repetier-Host, or other host application without issue. The download for Repetier-Host installs everything you need (except maybe the USB driver - I don't recall on that), including both Cura Engine and Slic3r slicers. FWIW, the RAMBO board is just an integrated, single board approach to what is often a separate MEGA2560 processor board, RAMPS expander board, and four stepper motor driver boards. So, RAMBO firmware is basically a variation of RAMPS firmware. There may be other differences, but one difference is that RAMBO uses a digital/firmware adjustment (probably using gcodes) for stepper motor current limit (these are trimpot adjustments on RAMPS). The MakerFarm i3v-12 goes a step farther, configuring Marlin for the graphic LCD panel. There is support for countless variations built into the Marlin source code - these are just a couple. By manipulating the contents of the Marlin configuration.h and configuration_adv.h files, you can build firmware for just about any kind of printer running any kind of electronics.

As far as configuring Repetier-Host, I've focused on Cura Engine as my slicer but a recent post in my build thread (see link in my signature) walks through pretty much every RH-Cura setting as I currently have them. Use or ignore as you see fit. I should be adding a similar listing for the RH-Slic3r settings to that post in the next couple of days.
    Thank you Printbus, I'll definitely be looking into your link and reading up on more info relating to the Rambo board and getting it up to par for what I want to do once I get to that point. BTW, just an FYI - my experience with 3D printers is limited to just the Printrbot Simple, although I've been using/modifying/upgrading it for the past year now. I didn't have to do anything with firmware to the stock Printrboard that it came with, just configure R-H for the Simple's print volume and other related PLA set-up parameters and then set up Slic3r, so the whole firmware thing is rather new to me. I've never had any problems with R-H/Slic3r which is why I'd like to continue using it with the Makerfarm i3v. Now that my printer is on its way I want to get prepared for the build. I appreciate your help!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
    ...I didn't have to do anything with firmware to the stock Printrboard that it came with, just configure R-H for the Simple's print volume and other related PLA set-up parameters and then set up Slic3r...
    Once the printer is up and running, that should be all you need to do for the i3v-12 too. It's unfortunate that MakerFarm isn't shipping the RAMBO preflashed with turnkey firmware. That can be a significant undertaking by itself for someone new to Arduino and Marlin.