I didn't buy the gCreate kit for the gMax (I couldn't spend that much at once). Instead I downloaded their build manual and walked through the steps creating a bill of materials (hence my mention that I could share that if anyone was interested). I then ordered everything a little bit at a time and built the printer as I got parts in.

I printed off the plastic pieces from my boss's Mendel tricolor (technically it's tricolour since the RepRapPro guys are in the UK). The Mendel was my intro into 3D printing -- my boss bought it and it sat at his house in a box unassembled for over a year before I convinced him to bring it in and let me put it together. So anyway when I broke the piece, I just went to the office and printed off another. I probably should have increased the infill (they are printed at 20% right now), but it slipped my mind. I may print off some extras when it's up and running.

I have been working on it since early September. The nice thing about taking my time on it is that there isn't really anything I didn't do the right way. No steps skipped or corners cut. It will be a nice copy when I am done. I only need a hotend... I'd have ordered one by now, but I happen to know that my brother bought me an E3Dv6 for Christmas, so I need to be patient .

Yes, there are some really exciting 3D printing materials being created. The composite stuff is pretty interesting. The form of the 3D printer has/is/will go through some evolution to enable further developments in material.