So I am new to 3D printing and recently obtained a 3D printer for free. I am prototyping the printer for a company that will remain unnamed.

It has "The Replicator 7.5" firmware and prints in .x3g files. So I have been working with replicatorg and using the Slic3r gcode profile within replicatorg.

I wanted to know if there was another freeware program to help me generate gcode for the machine and convert it to the proper .x3g file. I know there is the Makerware software but I do not like the simplicity and that you can only select a few settings when printing.

I have been looking into the Simply3D software and wanted to know if it is worth the $140.00 pricetag? I do like usingSlic3r over Skeinforge within replicatorg for the fact that it has a lot of settings but is a lot more simple then skeinforge.

So far I have only had 1 successfull print, it was a design that I made and printed. A simple cylinder with a hole in the middle, so now I am playing with the gcode settings to help me print more complicated prints. I am getting frustrated and just trying to refine my techniques for generating gcode and trying to find what my machine likes but I find with replicatorg it really is a hassle.

This is one reason why I was looking into Simplfy3D. Does anyone know if it would work with the .x3g file, I noticed they accept the Replicator series of printers which is what mine is modeled after.

Also does anyone have a good link or two to different calibration techniques for the extruder? I have googled and come up with 10 different techniques.