As I posted in another thread, I should just reveal the torch I am using. WITH A DISCLAIMER! I love this torch, but it requires external ignition after only a short period of use. The plastics deforms from heat and the built-in igniter becomes useless. Also, the safety mechanism is easily removed which isn't necessary when you have to use an external igniter

It does not use a mesh to catalyze the flame; it uses a ceramic grid. You heat the grid with a butane light/torch (sharp blue flame) into the vent hole and then start the butane flowing.
the ceramic will get red hot and it has enough heat-flow to get target areas as small as a 1/4" [6.35mm].

eBay seems to be the only place left to get these... and they are quite reasonable.

Mag-Torch MT 765 Micro Butane Refillable Torch or MT 775 with some accessories.

Basically, these work great as a pimple removing tool from support removal on ABS and alike, but also nice to remove or solder surface mount components. That's why I needed a backup. They are getting rare in the regular world (not eBay). Spent a half hour with a Home Depot chatterer explaining just that.

Anyone finds a different unit that uses a ceramics based catalyze'r, please post up the details.