Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse

LCD assembly and installation

LCD INTERFACE and LCD INSTALLATION
    I didn't like the way the build videos clamp down on the display board and bend it. To prevent this from happening, I used some 3/16-inch long spacers between the display board and the LCD bracket. The spacers really can't be any longer than this or the LCD bracket end will start to interfere with the SD card slot.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT #1: I've had several cases where the display either blanks out or displays random garbage after I first touch the encoder shaft or the metal knob I had installed on the shaft. There might be a static discharge issue here, so I replaced the metal knob with a printed knob to see whether the problem goes away with an insulated one. A better knob was later found on Thingiverse and used instead.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT #2: The buzzer on the LCD is quite loud. I tamed mine down by covering the hole in the front of the buzzer with a small piece of black electrical tape.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT #3: The display comes preassembled with one row of soldered pins fastening the two boards together. At some print speeds, I've had the LCD board vibrate against the larger board and/or vibrate against the wood frame. To fix this, I added a few dabs of hot glue between the two boards, opposite from the row of soldered pins. Double-sided foam tape or something similar could also be used to improve how the two boards are fastened together.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT #4: There were additional rattles coming from the LCD vibrating in the wood frame. Narrow strips of electrical tape were added as a cushion to either the wood, the circuit boards, or the metal frame on the LCD so that no two hard surfaces can vibrate.
    Last edited by printbus; 05-03-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: migrated to offsite image storage due to 3DPrintBoard issues