Close

Hybrid View

Thanks C A. Ordering the CR-10 tonight and planning to get me feet wet on that. Who knows ... If I win the lottery, I'll upgrade to something really really cool.

I've been researching single / dual extruders and also multiple extruders using a single nozzle as I have decided to build my own FDM printer.

Keep in mind that this is based on my research, not my experience.

The multiple extruders with one hot end can waste alot of filament. I watched one YouTube review where the amount of wasted filament on the cleaning block that was created weighed more than the finished parts.

Personally I want to print some fairly intricate parts where designing the part so that it doesn't need support isn't an option, and I want excellent quality when bridging, so I really think whether or not to have a second nozzle for support material is a good idea really depends on the user and not everyone has the same needs.

That being said, in my research, I have found people who have two headed machines often end up removing one head and not using it, so I don't disagree with what aardvark has said.

Also I want to print with some Nylon that is reported to need temps up to 285 C. So the temp you can get at the hot end is important if you want to do that. I don't know what the best setup is, perhaps someone with some experience there can chime in.