I was the primary "consultant" for the library when they decided to purchase a 3D printer. I'm not too worried about my reputation, but one can maintain ethics as well as a bit of pride. A big part of the Prusa kit is being able to construct it, to learn how it is assembled, and keep that valuable information forever. The library people enjoyed very much the process of building.

When the build was completed, the first print was well beyond expectations. One might expect some tuning or adjusting for a printer constructed by a collection of library employees, but this was an astonishingly good result.

Very little problems over time, other than a few user-caused ones. The first problem was some of the nuts were not fastened securely to the threaded rods. They fell off during a print, but nothing went wrong and were easily re-attached. The PEI bed grips PLA filament quite well, and when cool, the part releases easily. The library folks have been running the printer nearly all day every day and the PEI bed is starting to lose grip.

An easy fix, some fine sandpaper, denatured alcohol cleaning and it's gripping strong again.

I think you'll find it challenging to locate a genuine Prusa owner who dislikes his printer.

I understand the budget considerations. I suggest to people who are considering to purchase a 3D printer to buy the best one they can find for the most money they can afford. It worked well in this case! It's not so much a too-much-work DIY as it is a bolt-together and go type of kit. I think you could DIY an enclosure if you decide to go ABS, but that's a box. The enclosure doesn't have to be heated as the bed and nozzle will provide the necessary temperature increase. My SIgma 16 does not have a heated enclosure and I only have to place a blocking cardboard at the opening, leaving the top clear, to print good results in ABS.

Good luck with your choice, and have fun!