Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by syl20 View Post
    In addition, I've seen an another great evolution for your already (very) great G29 enhancement ; instead of probing the full bed size, it is possible to probe just the printing area. It is very usefull, because you reduce the probing zone, reduce time of probing, improve the accuracy, ... ; a guy has already made this on github (https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/pull/1022) ; 3 files have been changed. Is there a way to merge the code ?
    Thanks
    Yes, it should be possible to merge the code together. The biggest question I would have is how does the G29 get told how big of an area to probe? Some how, that should be automated.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Yes, it should be possible to merge the code together. The biggest question I would have is how does the G29 get told how big of an area to probe? Some how, that should be automated.
    It's the slicing program like cura or slic3r that tell the G29 gcode the position and the size of the area to probe.
    It would be an optionnal parameter to the G29. Without this parameter the whole bed is probing.
    With a new G29 start code in slic3r (easy to do), the printing size parameter override the bed size, that's all.

It's the slicing program like cura or slic3r that tell the G29 gcode the position and the size of the area to probe.
    It would be an optionnal parameter to the G29. Without this parameter the whole bed is probing.
    With a new G29 start code in slic3r (easy to do), the printing size parameter override the bed size, that's all.
    Can Slicer tell us how big the print plate is going to be for a given print?

Can Slicer tell us how big the print plate is going to be for a given print?
    yes, with a post processing script

yes, with a post processing script
    Can you show me that script? I'll modify the G29 to make use of it and probe the region that the print will be.

Can you show me that script? I'll modify the G29 to make use of it and probe the region that the print will be.
    I have merged your code with the one of bonm14 from github, this night. It compiles but I do not have tested. I write as soon as posible the post processing script.

I have merged your code with the one of bonm14 from github, this night. It compiles but I do not have tested. I write as soon as posible the post processing script.
    Please report back when you have either tested the merged code or have the post processing script for others to look at! It would be great to get this all working together!!! It might make sense to start a new thread with the single focused topic of getting the merged code bases in a form to be released and with full automatic support for the bed probing of what ever size is needed for the print.
    Last edited by Roxy; 09-24-2014 at 10:44 AM.

I have also integrated the bonm14 into current Marlin including Roxy's changes (fork available here: https://github.com/beckdac/Marlin ). I had to do some work to reconcile the two approaches, particularly for handling the number of points, but that is done. Please see this post for more information: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post28235

If you have a post-processing script already setup, syl20, I'd love to have a look at it.