Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    still not sure why on a long print the resin doesn't cure and get thick and gloopy.
    Surely even the scattered light from the projector will thicken the nearby resin.
    Does it have a particular light intensity threshhold ?

Also could you use one of the new mini-led projectors around and just put it nearer ?
    Or even direct it directly at the base of the vat ? all you'd need would be Longer legs on the printer and a bracket to hold the projector.

£750 (ish) for the projector seems a lot to me :-) (but I am permanently lacking money)

I've never had a problem with scattered light curing any surrounding resin at normal layer times. I have left the projector shining on the vat for long periods just to see the outcome and it did cure most of the bottom of the vat. My favorite resin is MakerJuice, and it is not very sensitive to room light or scattered light from the projector. The ideal brightness is 3000 lumens, but I would think a threshold depends on the brand of resin.

I use a Acer H6510BD projector because there are no mods required to use it. Some people install a shutter like the one in the link below from Muve3D to stop scattered light, but I have never had a need for it.

https://www.muve3d.net/press/product/shutter-kit/

And those would be good ideas to try!

To further improve the projector performance you can do what I did to mine. I removed the color wheel and replaced the hot mirror on the halogen lamp with a UV pass filter. I cut my cure times in half and don't get any background curing. I am currently using Autodesk Magenta resin.

Video tutorials on these modifications are located here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9__eXITNrbxwmS

-Garage Science