Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so after something of a break, I'm back on the big bastard.
    What caused the hiatus was cutting 6mm threads in the ends of the aluminium extrusion.
    I had been using the thread cutters in my drill. But stopped after stripping threads in one hole and completely jamming the threads in the cutter. Fortunately It didn't strip all the way down, so I've added a bit more length by hand and it'll just need a slightly longer bolt. My mate did drop off some 8mm cutters as well - but don't think they'll be needed after all.

My mate dropped his manual cutter holder off last week - so much easier to use. Have now done all three uprights, and just need to dismantle the prototype base/top and do the three short struts in that. I've remodelled the corner pieces with bolt holes, and tested.
    Makes a super rigid structure.
    Added the cross piece for the belt cog/holder/spinny thing (can't remember what it's called at the moment).
    Also made the corner pieces a bit wider so the edges of the build plate line up with the slot in the extrusion.
    I've left a wide gap for the bottom belt holders, so once I've got the stepper motor mounting where I want it on the top. I'll probably make some spacers to stop the thing moving horizontally. With a 1.5 metre height, I think it needs less opportunity for movement than on the k200, where tension is the only thing that keeps it in place.

Once I've got everything threaded, I'll knock up some feet and put the frame together. That'll be interesting. Give me some real idea just how big it is and where It can live :-)
    At that point I can also finish the bed and work out wiring.
    Still need to design the effector - seen some interesting magnetic ones with angled holders for the ball bearings. Also need to add the belt holder and arm holders (magnetic again) to the carriages.
    Had a quick check and the arms are more than long enough - no matter what else I do. They'll need to be cut to size. But that's supposed to be fairly easy with a fine toothed hacksaw and i do have a disc sander for fine adjustment.

I'd quite like to get to the point where I'm tearing my hair out with the settings and configuration for smoothieware in the next month or so.

More as it happens :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-09-2018 at 06:03 AM.