Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    to be fair I actually like that aspect of it.
    Particularly with a new type of printer I have no idea how to calibrate. It does mean that any head crashes, shouldn't damage either the print nozzle or the bed.
    And it does make it easy to actually level the plate.
    I presume it was the easiest way to keep it a decent distance above the motherboard.
    It does take a fair bit of pressure to move it. so under normal printing conditions, it'll be plenty solid enough.

And I could screw it down a bit more to make it firmer if necessary.

My main issue is how do I set the three x,y and z zero positions. I can use the head position to level the bed, but how do I tell the printer where the bed is in relation to where the three carrigaes are.

I could really do with z-height and z-stepper motor. Given that the three towers are designated x,y &
    z, but that z is also used for the relative height of the head as well.
    Maybe they should have been labelled: w x y and just use z for relative height above the board.
    Anyway people have been doing it for a few years, so there'll be a procedure somewhere :-)

Hmm, that is NOT what happens on mine. maybe I just need to fettle the z probe thing a bit. The one in the video is way, way, way more sensitive than mine. When mine pushes down the bed goes down about 5 mm before it registers the probe contact.
    You can see the heated bed setup though davo.

Gives a nice air gap above all the electrickery things that are generating heat.
    And coming from a pc building background, I'm all about air flow :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-02-2017 at 11:09 AM.