Close

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    Get a speed square to double check.

Remember, just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not following you, or in your case, slanting when your not looking. ;-)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'm still not entirely sure. I used my angle ruler thingy (it's a weird looking bit of kit) and I still can't say for certain if it's actually slanted.
    Oh yeah and the flashforge decided it wasn't going to print last night.

But for not tall stuff alexa is fine:

Well I'm still not sure if there is an issue with alexa or not.
    If there is it seems to be proportional to the layer height.

ie: if \i print at a lower layer height, there is no discernible slant - and none on small items anyway.
    The larger the layer height the greater the potential for slant - but again not on small items.

Oh yeah and I've got extrusion issues on the flashforge now. So have to dismantle the extruder tonight.
    Stuff feeds and loads, but almost nothing comes out on a print.
    No rest for the wicked.

I have booked my tickets to mallorca for this years international slinging event - so need to print a bunch of flexible sling pouches. Also want to make a printable template for my leather sling pouches.
    It's all fun :-)

Just knocked out a 100mm statue of ganesha at 0.24 layer height (try to keep it in multiples of 8, the stepper motors prefer it apparently).
    Bang on - zero signs of any issue.
    I mean none - got a hindu mate who's just bought a new house so thought I'd make him a ganesh :-)
    It's as clean and smooth and shiny as any print you'd see.

Meanwhile I can find nothing wrong with the flashforge's extruder. If I feed from the control panel it extrudes a straight piece of filament with no problems. So the nozzle hasn't got an issue.
    But when i go to print, it just grinds to a halt about halfway through the first layer.

Am I in the twilight zone ?

Right going to try a ganesh in wood now.
    You can never have too many elephant headed god statues :-)

Technologist
    So Alexa seems to be ok at 0.24, but when does it start the slant? What if you just use the multiples of 8 at a thicker layer, say 0.48, is that an issue. This is a strange one.

On your flashforge, could the heater be weak? i.e. what would happen if you feed say 100 mm of filament. Will it work ok? Seems to me you can overrun the heating ability if the feed is too fast for too long.

yep, I can feed as much as I like, temps are stable.
    The tubes I added to the extruder are fine, nothing's getting stuck on them.
    Plus it's doing it on both normal pla and flexible pla.
    I've fettled around with the bed levelling and z gaps - it's not that.
    different models, etc

Could it be somethig to do with the steper motor at slower speeds. Dunno.
    It's annoying as I could do with having it working at the moment.
    Off to the world slinging international in a couple of weeks and I want to take a load of flexible plastic pouches with me.
    Guess I ought to just buy printbite for the knp, mod the extruders and start using that more.

Currently printing a 2 part 'thing' (one of my inventions I sell - so no, I'm not telling you what it is :-) - doing both parts at once - no problems.
    One is about 30mm tall - still on 0.24.
    It's fine.

I'll try a glande mould tomorrow at the same resolution. Which is kind of annoying as you gain nothing by printing these at anything but the thickest layer you can.
    But I'll try it.
    And if that comes out fine - I'll print the i3 parts.

Oh yeah I've upped my retraction to 3mm - still at 70mm/s. Absolutely zero stringing and I kept the parts really close to test it.

Technologist
    This is an interesting read on print slant. Long story short, it was his belts. http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?178,731246,page=1

well I'm over halfway through the i3 parts and no issue so far.

Belts are tight. Also bear in mind I have two belt tensioners on each belt - so all three are at the exact same tension.

Even if the belts did stretch, the tensioners would take up any slack and you would have a visual indication as the arms on the tensioners closed.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-22-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Printed a big mould set last night. 0.4mm layer height, 100mm/s - came out perfect. Did it in clear pla - which can be tricky. No problem.
    New retraction settings give me completely string free multiple prints. 3mm at 70mm/s (I think - I'll check when I'm back on the workshop computer).

So it seems to have sorted itself - weird, but good.

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast