Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
All this said, He is looking for a plastic model.
In Kubikdanon's two posts so far, nothing seems to suggest he was specifically looking for a plastic model kit (Revell/Monogram/Tamiya). Both plastic and die-cast metal models in the hobby world sport a high level of detail. Die-cast versions might have more articulating parts: opening trunks, hoods, doors, etc over its plastic kit equivalent.

What does seem concrete is his posted preference for scale... specifically 1:18. Die-cast metal car models coalesce toward certain scales.
1:64 Matchbox, Hotwheels
1:43 Minichamps
1:18 BBurago, Maisto, AutoArt, Kyosho

Plastic snap/glue kits are scaled all over the place, but for the most part, they tend to avoid the die-cast scales. What I remember from my hobby days are plastic kits sticking to
1:25
1:16
1:12
1:8

If Kubikdanon's already got a collection of 1:18 he wants to add to, my bets are his existing stuff is predominantly die-cast metal models. The Audi R8 and McLaren 570 (and aforementioned Chiron) have been available as existing 1:18 die-cast models.

YouTube has a bunch of enthusiasts who claim they can customize existing die-cast models, but watching a few of their clips, it's disappointing to realize they're just doing cosmetic fluff like window decals, a paint job, or at most slapping on some fiberglass (or Bondo) to do fender flares.

None of them have elevated to offering 3D prototyping to make truly customized parts. If that is the OP's intent, it's worth pursuing. 3D prototyping would create super-crisp detail in windshield wipers, antenna fins, steering wheels, aero bodyworks and custom wheels.

The point of Stereolithography (SLA) isn't to directly use the resin parts. The tech has been around since the 80's and employed by the likes of Ford Motor Company, dentists, Bvlgari, and lots others to prototype the investment model used in casting into production materials. The library of materials continues to expand where there are resins of varied characteristics. Some resins are now directly used for dental application, other resins can print into highly flexible material, and still others are formulated for speedy prototyping (10cm/hour) of reasonably sturdy parts.