Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    Looking at what you found, I notice that it doesn't have a heated bed as far as I can see. That means PLA only, forget the other filament types. And difficult to keep it firmly on the print bed, especially with large objects.

Also, you will need to make some upgrades for stability. The larger the print volume, the bigger the problem will be. Those mounting corners on the uprights are the weakest part of the design. Also it will most likely be shipped with very dated (and poorly performing) freeware to slice/print.

Do you really need such a build volume? Larger dimensions means more warp (even with PLA) and thus much more difficult to print with many failures along the way. Unless you have a lot of experience, you will most likely fail when trying to print really large objects that utilize most of that volume.

Very large volume also means very long print time. If the extruder is not of good quality, you most likely will find that it gives uneven or clogged extrusion, usually 20+ hours during the print thus wasting a lot of time and filament and creating another piece of plastic waste.

I agree with the above that the new MK2 Prusa i3 is a very good choice. Very high quality, very user friendly, great results and it is Czech (EU) made, not chinese if you have a problem with the latter. See http://toms3d.org/2016/09/19/review-...-prusa-i3-mk2/ for a good review. Knowing what i know now after many years of 3D printing, it is indeed a very good choice for a first printer.
    You can also upgrade it later to do multi-color printing. The multi-color technique is very precise but slow. But then again a failed print also takes up a lot of time.

Having said that, all my 5 printers bar one are chinese made and perform very well (Qidi tech). But I tend to do ABS/polycarbonate and thus need a heated and enclosed chamber. Two of those chinese printers I upgraded with chamber heating/regulation for that purpose alone.
    Last edited by Alibert; 01-04-2017 at 01:02 AM.