Close

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Hybrid View

BTW if anyone can tell me in Cura where to set the Z offset I'd appreciate it!

We haven't wired the BL Touch because we don't have the mount printed. Haven't even looked at the instructions, but from your comment it takes the place of the Z probe? That makes sense why it bounced around on its own, it did moved on to each position just after the Z stop clicked.

Anyway, no I don't really want to get crazy customizing my firmware - I don't even know what I'm doing - but the auto bed level doesn't look any better than the manual bed level, just more hassle, the manual was easy and quick to do. So I just want to do that. I assume this would require some change to the Z probe settings in the config file though, now that I see how the ABL is using it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

When you get it running properly, probe based mesh bed leveling is much better than any form of manual leveling. It also has the advantage that it auto corrects for all the weird variation in glass and hairspray you run into.

Bob

I have no idea how to transfer the relevant settings to a machine-agnostic firmware. I just want this thing to work with what is supplied. I haven't gotten far enough to know if I have a "lumpy" bed...

From the config it looks like Manual BL uses Mesh BL?

Engineer-in-Training
    The type of bed leveling done is very dependent on the Marlin version you are using. The thing that the better stuff does is to allow for multiple lumps and bumps in the bed. The earlier stuff simply tries to find a flat plane through the data. The whole process of getting the "better" working is rumbling along as we have this conversation.

I know I'm not objective... But really... The UBL branch of Marlin is really good for non-flat beds. I went to several Dollar stores looking for the worst piece of glass I could find. I get perfect adhesion across 100% of the bed 100% of the time.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/devel-ubl

If you search the Marlin Issue list, you will find a 'Cheat Sheet' with a list of commands to do to get your Mesh perfectly defined. In fact, you can get a perfect mesh without even having a Z-Probe on the machine.

If someone could tell me how to edit the config file I posted to get manual BL enabled that would be great.

How often does one have to level the bed? Does it retain the calibration after a power cycle?

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

It does not normally retain the auto bed level information after a power cycle. Even if it did, any bump or bash to the printer might muck things up. Better to level it each time. If your print is going to take a couple days, why worry about a minute or two ..

Bob

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast