Hi

When you use a shim to level the bed, the shim has a thickness. Let's say your paper is 1 mm thick. After bed level, the Z=0 point will be 1 mm off of the bed of the printer. If I tell a print to start at zero, it will be printing 1 mm up in the air. Since the first layer probably is 0.2 mm, it actually will be printing at 0 point + 0.2 mm = 1.2 mm in the air. You need to take that 1 mm out of the system. You can do that one of two ways. One way is to enter it in the firmware and recompile with that number as an offset. The other approach is to tell the slicer what the offset is and let it do the gcode with the offset figured in. That way the print will start at -1mm + 0.2 mm = -0.8 mm and it will go down on the bed. Of the two approaches, I find the slicer approach easier since you will do a half dozen prints to refine the magic offset number before you get it right.

Have you tried moving the printer driver modules on the ramps board yet? My guess is that you have a problem with one of them. I don't know how Colin labels his firmware for the Deluxe model so no clue if it is easy to spot. In any case 4,000 is the right steps on Z. The other gotcha is a stepper driver that is set to to many micro steps. That's why I suggest swapping the drivers around.

Bob