Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    I would check to see if you have a clog. I use a method called the cold pull technique, if you Google it you will find an answer. But essentially you set your extruder temp low, like 180*c and then pull out the filament slowly. Do that a few times and it should have cleaned the nozzle.

If that doesn't work, make sure the Teflon tube is clear from the hobbed gear. Also check the filament diameter using calipers to ensure its not oblong in one direction.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

If you open up the extruder so the filament is not clamped, you should be able to push filament through the hot end by hand. You can prop the clamp arm open with a screwdriver to allow this. If you can push it OK, then your system is not clogged. If you can't push it, you have a clog, a low temperature, wrong type of filament, or an incorrectly assembled hot end. There is a troubleshoot list for each of these paths....

Bob

Student
    Well, after a lot of cursing and head scratching, I figured it out. I had the E-steps on the extruder set way, way too high. They were over 800 I cranked them down 100 steps at a time until I got something that looked like 100 mm of filament or so then did a calibration test and ill be damned if I was only one step off from as close to perfect as I can get. No more skipping. No more piles of ground up filament in the extruder.

Thanks for all the advice.

Scott

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMacZed View Post
    Well, after a lot of cursing and head scratching, I figured it out. I had the E-steps on the extruder set way, way too high. They were over 800 I cranked them down 100 steps at a time until I got something that looked like 100 mm of filament or so then did a calibration test and ill be damned if I was only one step off from as close to perfect as I can get. No more skipping. No more piles of ground up filament in the extruder.

Thanks for all the advice.

Scott
    I am glad to hear you got it resolved! If it makes you feel any better. With my first Prusa IV3 it took me about 5 months to resolve my extruder issues.