Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    And windows 10 has nothing to do with the BIOS. Come on now.
    really ?

you ever tride to get into the bios on awindows 10 machine ?
    none of your f keys work, neither do del or esc. This is because the pox-be-damned uefi boot system takes immediate control of the system boot mechanics and bypasses the usual bios options.

If you have access to windows and spend ten minutes going through menus then you can get access to normal bios controls.
    But if you're doing a repair on asystem where windows won't boot - you are screwed. Can't access boot menu for rescue discs, can't get into bios to change boot options.

Speaking from more than a little experience, windows 10 has many many poor qualities but the disabling the bios and boot menu - for me is the worst.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    really ?

you ever tride to get into the bios on awindows 10 machine ?
    none of your f keys work, neither do del or esc. This is because the pox-be-damned uefi boot system takes immediate control of the system boot mechanics and bypasses the usual bios options.

If you have access to windows and spend ten minutes going through menus then you can get access to normal bios controls.
    But if you're doing a repair on asystem where windows won't boot - you are screwed. Can't access boot menu for rescue discs, can't get into bios to change boot options.

Speaking from more than a little experience, windows 10 has many many poor qualities but the disabling the bios and boot menu - for me is the worst.
    I have windows 10 on no less than 3 computers in my house. All three of them get into bios with either F2 or delete. Same is true for the laptop I am sitting on here at work.

I have never seen UEFI lock down the BIOS on anything other than a system specifically configured to do that. If you have a corporate supplied, prebuilt, or otherwise secured computer - then yes.

But that is NOT a default reality.