Close

Hybrid View

Student
    Anybody know how to get precise control of a DC motor? I'm thinking a microcontroller with a hall effect sensor on the motor shaft counting full turns. An A/D input would monitor the current or voltage and count the armature pulses during the revolution to determine angular position. Then it should apply a reverse voltage pulse for rapid stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by DoulosDS View Post
    Anybody know how to get precise control of a DC motor? I'm thinking a microcontroller with a hall effect sensor on the motor shaft counting full turns. An A/D input would monitor the current or voltage and count the armature pulses during the revolution to determine angular position. Then it should apply a reverse voltage pulse for rapid stopping.
    Or a conductive disk turning around with the axle with a drag-contact and a non-conductive area... Ofc. that won't help much if it turns too fast...

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by CescoAiel View Post
    Or a conductive disk turning around with the axle with a drag-contact and a non-conductive area... Ofc. that won't help much if it turns too fast...
    Hall effect is much more reliable and I expect a less noisy signal... as well as able to handle higher RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by DoulosDS View Post
    Hall effect is much more reliable and I expect a less noisy signal... as well as able to handle higher RPMs.
    Hall effect sensors are also cheap. I'm doing some experimenting with MLX90363 units, but you really wouldn't even need something that complex for what you're proposing. something like a US1881 (which sparkfun carries) should work.