Close

Hybrid View

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    Every power supply must have some kind of fuse for protection. Whether its internal or external. If you open it up I'm sure you could find a fuse. Open the power supply and send a picture here on the forum and we can help identify it for you.

Student
    Open the power supply and send a picture here on the forum and we can help identify it for you.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Let me know if anything is amiss.

I assume you're using one of the usual 12V 30-amps or so switching power supplies that fit the mounting hole pattern on the MakerFarm printers.
    Yep. My guess is that my 12" overloaded the PS and messed up something internally.

If the fuse is good or burns open again after replacement, I'd look for a new power supply.
    Can you send me a link to one you prefer? I'd probably want a 40a one just to be safe.

P.S. Yes the fuse is completely intact if you can't tell from the tiny pic
    Last edited by spaceorange12; 12-10-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Clarification

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceorange12 View Post
    Can you send me a link to one you prefer? I'd probably want a 40a one just to be safe.
    I lucked into a used power supply, so I don't have a vetted source to offer. Someone else might. Meanwell doesn't appear to be publishing any "how to identify a fake Meanwell" info, so I can't offer that either.

There have been a few threads where options have been discussed. Some have done well with the low cost knockoffs - you just have to accept the YMMV factor. Your range of replacement options depends on whether you want the power supply to mount on the printer frame. If not, some have used an ATX-type power supply. This thread mentions a server power supply that has been adapted for free-standing use - http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...nt-Requirement.

40 amps would put you into a 500 watt or larger power supply. Just as another option, MakerFarm at least used to suggest using two power supplies on the larger printers, with one dedicated to the large heat bed on those printers. A smaller one can be used to power the electronics, motor, and extruder heater.