3D printing is like text processing/layouting.
It's in it's infancy, about the time Pagemaker and the Laserprinter were introduced.
Typesetters arguing, "you will never get the quality typesetting offers", early adopters arguing, "but see I can create documents with all the same features your typesetting offers". In the end Textprocessing/layout replaced typesetting.
3D printing will eventuelly reach the level of maturity home-dtp/printing has achieved.
Still not everybody does do t/l at home, because it is easier to buy a newspaper than to gather news, layout and print them. It's more convenient to buy a book than to write one. And not all have the creativity and/or knowledge to make use of the t/l software.
Templates are a try to overcome this.
If you are one of those creating, you have the choice to type, layout and publish yourself or to outsource all or parts of it.
3D printing is in it's infancy. Even if the durability of 3d printed objects will not surpass that of the best other processes it will be good enough for use. Not every printed object has to survive a hit by a piano dropping from 5th floor.
Most people will not have a use for a 3d printer. They have a use for the objects. They will be happy to buy their part wherever they get it, whether you call that a 3D hub or a service center is of no consequence.
For them having a 3D printer at home makes only sense if it is simple, reliable and if they can Get a model of the object they want.
The two main groups who might really want to have a 3D printer are people interested in the printing and the ones interested in creating whatever they create.
The first group, doesn't need a hub - the printer is the focus, using a hub would not satisfy the interest.
The creators will come in all colors some will only use one or the other, some will use both.
I have a printer, because it gives me the illusion of control over the process and control of the time. I can influence quality, material and color directly, have "immediate" feedback and can print overnight and can abort the print when realizing I missed something. Turnaround time is shorter.
Other people prefer the "hassle free" approach of a hub (which might be hassle free or not) and use the delay induced by shipment and production queue to work on the next project. Others do the prototypes at home/workshop and have the final design/master printed on a high quality machine. Your mileage may vary.

Both have their uses.
In the short term, I expect the home printers to be stronger..
In medium terms I expect a shift to the hub, as soon as large librarys of useful models are available (i.e. Spare parts for household appliances and so on). Those may be camouflaged as stores - i.e. General electric spare parts mail order, which will virtually be a 3D hub with limitted product range.
Turning into online warehouses much like amazon, with the difference that they print parts instead of having huge inventories.
in the long term the printer will move from those warehouses to the home! Cutting out the transport, but that might be 100 years off.

For businesses I expect the decision to be the same as for any other investment where you have to decide between inhouse and outsourceing.
Make them an offer they can't resist (which might ruin you . )and they will use your hub.