Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Set your extrusion multiplier to .88 and .2 layer heights, 235C temps. 95C build plate. In simplify 3d reset to factory FlashForge Creator Pro defaults then change the settings I listed. 20% infill should be good. Don't change anything else for now. Try to get that to work then tweak here and there to dial things in.

As mentioned before .2 layers are all that is really ever needed for general parts. Perfect your prints at .2, then try .1 layers.

Inland filament is very good. I generally do a calibration cube for each filament to see if the settings I generally use is good to go. But I don't dwell over calibration cubes. I have had perfect calibration cubes printed but in real world printing it was still over extruding. So I turn down the multiplier untill things smooth out. .88-.9 is a good range for extrusion multiplier to start with.
    Unfortunately, the change to .2 and 20% is almost a step backwards, and will not meet my needs.

I am printing detailed parts that I need within certain tolerances as I am trying to prototype some designs I have made. These will need to fit together, and may possibly even be threaded - which I am okay with running a drill bit or a tap through, but I would rather only run them through to help clean up the printed threads. I need known objects such as button batteries and battery pads to fit within the printed parts.

For what I am doing, I really need a 50% or more infill with a .1 layer height. I have no desire to print at .2 or 20% infill, so that isn't going to help me any. I am not concerned with the build time so much as I am overall quality and strength for proof of concept prints.

I know this machine is capable of high quality 1mm layer prints.

Lowering the bed temp to 90 has helped the shrinking on the base layer a good bit. My prints still hold firmly in place with a glue stick. I have been printing at 50% infill with .1 layer height with some success, but my tolerances are still an issue. Holes are printing small. Is this due to the shell setting? How much clearance do you generally leave between parts for shell forgiveness?

What are some additional things I can do to help strengthen my parts against delamination?
    Last edited by catalyst; 10-10-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    Unfortunately, the change to .2 and 20% is almost a step backwards, and will not meet my needs.

I am printing detailed parts that I need within certain tolerances as I am trying to prototype some designs I have made. These will need to fit together, and may possibly even be threaded - which I am okay with running a drill bit or a tap through, but I would rather only run them through to help clean up the printed threads. I need known objects such as button batteries and battery pads to fit within the printed parts.

For what I am doing, I really need a 50% or more infill with a .1 layer height. I have no desire to print at .2 or 20% infill, so that isn't going to help me any. I am not concerned with the build time so much as I am overall quality and strength for proof of concept prints.

I know this machine is capable of high quality 1mm layer prints.

Lowering the bed temp to 90 has helped the shrinking on the base layer a good bit. My prints still hold firmly in place with a glue stick. I have been printing at 50% infill with .1 layer height with some success, but my tolerances are still an issue. Holes are printing small. Is this due to the shell setting? How much clearance do you generally leave between parts for shell forgiveness?

What are some additional things I can do to help strengthen my parts against delamination?
    It depends on what size threads you are making. If they are 3mm threads don't even waste your time, just tap out a 2.5mm hole. Larger threads like 8mm or 1/4x20 is in the realm of 3d printing possibility but still tough to really be function threads..

More heat at the extruder helps delamination and so does using a little acetone smoothing. For structural parts I print 100% infill, but for general model parts 20% is usually ok. When using S3d you can use the Horizontal size compensation to adjust hole size, but I generally adjust hole sizes in the modeling program. I usually run my 3mm holes at 3.2mm. If a 3mm bolt need to thread I use 2.5mm. No tapping is needed, the threads will be formed by the bolt. It does matter though which way you are threading into the part. If it is inline with the layers they can split. Perpindicular to layering and it is usually ok.