Hello everyone, I have recently become very interested in 3d printing as I believe it will change the world as we know it. In fact it has already started to. Anyone who hasn't should research 3d printing in the bio medical field.

I've been researching affordable open source 3d printer kits because I would like to actually build it myself so I can understand it instead of just own it and know how to use it. (Also saves a ton of money and qualifies as a good time).

I've noticed alot of reprap and makerbot DIY or paritally assembled kits popping up on ebay but I have no way of knowing if they are knock offs because they are mainly coming from china and india.

I know I want an open source 3d printer. I'm just having trouble choosing which one.

I found this pre-made one for around a thousand that features a dual extruder, and also prints ABS and PLA. They claim in the ad that it is comparable to reprap and possibly better quality.

I'm wondering if I could buy this, replace the micro controller with an arduino and use opensource software.

If I'm allowed I can post the link. Its a very detailed ad. They claim expert customer support and parts replacement, it appears to be legitimate and of good quality. Just checking for permission to post links. If this is nonsense, I'd appreciate any suggestions for DIY kits. I'm ready to order.

Thanks in advance.