Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    FFCP should have that setting. Qidi too.

You can try turning the force retraction between layers off, if it is a retraction problem just make it not retract. For every retraction there is an equal prime. That is why I said to do a -.4 extra restart. This tells it to do a 1.4mm retraction but only a 1mm reprime.

The reason I thought the negative restart was affecting small areas is that on one of those green monsters I did had an issue printing the lower teeth. They where small and it looked like it extruded only partial filament. I noticed on other parts that small areas with short extrusions were incomplete.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    The reason I thought the negative restart was affecting small areas is that on one of those green monsters I did had an issue printing the lower teeth. They where small and it looked like it extruded only partial filament. I noticed on other parts that small areas with short extrusions were incomplete.
    Ya the geniuses thought of that too, that's why there is a minimum travel for retraction. Just realized you are talking about 2 different models here. Settings like this are model specific. Just because your monster didn't like the negative restart doesn't mean it wont work on the barrel or whatever that is. It is important to focus on settings for one model or it gets confusing to everyone. You can't always make a catch all profile for every model. As nice as that would be it just doesn't happen.

Super Moderator
    Ya the geniuses thought of that too, that's why there is a minimum travel for retraction. Just realized you are talking about 2 different models here. Settings like this are model specific. Just because your monster didn't like the negative restart doesn't mean it wont work on the barrel or whatever that is. It is important to focus on settings for one model or it gets confusing to everyone. You can't always make a catch all profile for every model. As nice as that would be it just doesn't happen.

Yea, I know it, the monster was just a side note. The barrel wasn't working at a restart of -.25 and with it a 0 it was still the same. I reset everything back to default and am seeing how it is going on the negative restart.

Upon checking the model, -.4 isn't going to do it. I am getting about 6mm distance of under extrusion from the starting point before the extrusion smooths out. It's either blobs or no plastic!

Super Moderator
    Ya, probably just turn layer retracts off all together. It isn't traveling enough to the next layer to be needed.

Yea, I know it, the monster was just a side note. The barrel wasn't working at a restart of -.25 and with it a 0 it was still the same. I reset everything back to default and am seeing how it is going on the negative restart.

Upon checking the model, -.4 isn't going to do it. I am getting about 6mm distance of under extrusion from the starting point before the extrusion smooths out. It's either blobs or no plastic!

Super Moderator
    Ya, probably just turn layer retracts off all together. It isn't traveling enough to the next layer to be needed.

With further testing - ABS with retraction settings of 1.4 and speed 50mm/sec with 0 restart and I get a near perfect seam.

Testing PLA with the same except -.25 restart. -.3 was a bit to much.

I wonder why ABS acts so different then PLA? I mean I get that they are two different materials but why does the print plop out the extra at the start of an extrusion and doesn't for the ABS? Is it the viscosity of the material? Maybe I am a little to hot on the PLA (210)?

Super Moderator
    Ya PLA tends to be a little "runnier" especially when to hot of printing. 1.4 is always where I am at with ABS. What about the other settings like extruder hold? Ever find it?

With further testing - ABS with retraction settings of 1.4 and speed 50mm/sec with 0 restart and I get a lnear perfect seam.

Testing PLA with the same except -.25 restart. -.3 was a bit to much.

I wonder why ABS acts so different then PLA? I mean I get that they are two different materials but why does the print plop out the extra at the start of an extrusion and doesn't for the ABS? Is it the viscosity of the material? Maybe I am a little to hot on the PLA (210)?

Super Moderator
    Ya PLA tends to be a little "runnier" especially when to hot of printing. 1.4 is always where I am at with ABS. What about the other settings like extruder hold? Ever find it?

Just looked, the QIDI has extruder hold and it is set to on.

I couldn't find it on the FFCP but I will look again.