Close

Thread: Scanner

Engineer-in-Training

Scanner

Has anyone given any thought as to how the peachy as a scanner will work?

Engineer-in-Training
    All we really have on this is that the Kickstarter claimed that the peachy could be used as a scanner, and a program would search every frame of a video that you take for laser points. I believe that little work has been done for this goal, because it is a side benefit of the peachy's design.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    All we really have on this is that the Kickstarter claimed that the peachy could be used as a scanner, and a program would search every frame of a video that you take for laser points. I believe that little work has been done for this goal, because it is a side benefit of the peachy's design.
    Should be relatively easy to design a turntable with stepper motor (variable speed), controlled by a PICAXE chip. The Picaxe source code could also be released. The picaxe can 'talk' via its serial port, so the 360 spin could be initiated by software and a handshake could be sent by the picaxe when every step is completed to tell the software to take a piccy via the camera.

Number of steps would be variable to dictate the scan resolution. http://www.picaxe.com/

The picaxe chip could also generate a square audio waveform, by setting 1 and 0 on one of its ports, to set the Y axis strobe. The Peachy audio in would then just be plugged into the platfform with the Picaxe circuit in it.
    Last edited by Anuvin; 01-26-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Im happy to say that the scanner code is being worked on now, as we have just hired a programmer! Updates coming soon as usual

When I first realized the peachy could also be a scanner i sat down coded for about 48 hours straight ( i was very excited ... any sleeping i did was right there at my desk and I drempt code
    I used open cv and had all kinds of features working on the last night.

1 the script turned the point cloud into a mesh
    2 the script collected the colors of a spin in object into a texture map.
    3 the script could do both real time scans as well as run thru pre recorded footage.

The scanners resolution seemed almost completely dependent on the cameras resolution.

Alas I have been far to busy to work on the scanner any more and my code is so sloppy that even im not sure what variable dose what any more.
    So currently it being rewritten.

Engineer-in-Training
    I am really impressed that you were able to get it to do all that, especially before R&D with funding. Excited that progress is happening on it, I figured it would be the kind of thing that would sit on the backburner. Really glad to be wrong.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    I am really impressed that you were able to get it to do all that, especially before R&D with funding. Excited that progress is happening on it, I figured it would be the kind of thing that would sit on the backburner. Really glad to be wrong.
    ya I was impressed too ... not so much with my self but with open CV, it was my first experience with open CV and it was very empowering!
    So a big thankyou to the people behind open CV is in order!