So the first ABS prints I started were too fast. Here is a quick video after I slowed it down a bit:

https://goo.gl/photos/WP513JYVnZQkHX7t6

My biggest fight so far has been the extruder setup. In order to extrude filament at all I had to re-position the binder clip to a horizontal position (vs vertical as shown in setup) to reduce the spring load. Without doing this the extruder just popped/clicked and would not rotate the extruder gear at all. It was not slipping on the shaft or on the filament, it just would not turn.

After reducing the preload on the filament extruder gear it improved the extrusion but it was still clicking/popping/not rotating. I noticed during a print if I reduced the print speed it improved the popping and allowed filament to extrude. I have since lowered my E Step from 100 to 80 and the lowered the print speed to to around 5-10mm/s which allows me to print with minor popping/clicking.

I need to perform an extrusion calibration to make sure that 10mm of extrusion is actually 10mm, but I have pretty much ruled out everything else. I've varied hot end temperature from 230c-240c with no noticeable improvements, the bowden tube is nearly free of resistance, and I've calibrated my motors to be running ~.5v that is recommended. I think a new extruder setup and possibly a new 5:1 extruder motor will be the cure all, but right now I'm just printing slowly.

Here is a picture of one of my latest parts:
DSC_0082.JPG