Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    Oh and the other advantage is that the distance to the print never changes, so no mathematical correction for x and y in relationship to Z required. No calibration for z required, it would be the same for all prints, because the distance to the print could be identical for every print.

I wonder if having ultrasonic vibrations in the water would remove surface tension issues.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by iplayfast View Post
    I wonder if having ultrasonic vibrations in the water would remove surface tension issues.
    iplayfast, according to the Physics textbooks, a thin layer of water will remove the surface tension in the photo resin and produce glassy smooth prints..... but since I dont have a Peachy, I am not in a position to put the theory to the test !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    iplayfast, according to the Physics textbooks, a thin layer of water will remove the surface tension in the photo resin and produce glassy smooth prints..... but since I dont have a Peachy, I am not in a position to put the theory to the test !!!!!
    That might work. The reason I was thinking ultrasonic was other sla printers print a layer, then the object moves down and up before the next layer is printed. I was guessing that this is to insure the model is coated, and break any surface tension. Ultrasonic would keep a constant ripple at a high frequency where the average wave would be the print area.

However, I like your idea better. So much simpler!

How about if you had a speaker (audio, not ultrasonic) that would vibrate the tank between layers. So have the laser trace the pattern then turn off while the tank is shaken, wait a short time for settling (avoiding ripples) and then do the next layer?

Quote Originally Posted by android78 View Post
    How about if you had a speaker (audio, not ultrasonic) that would vibrate the tank between layers. So have the laser trace the pattern then turn off while the tank is shaken, wait a short time for settling (avoiding ripples) and then do the next layer?
    I'm not saying it's not worth trying, but I would think the sound would also shake the mirror.

If it is a surface tension issue and if you had a way of also removing saline you could, between layers, add more saline than needed and then remove it to the proper level. This would probably fix the surface tension issues relatively easily but would also increase print times significantly as the laser would spend a lot more time off waiting for the resin to come to the right level. In theory you could then print with molasses or another high surface tension liquid using this method. The easiest way to test if it is surface tension though is make two identical prints with the same printer in the same room-- once with the room temperature high and once with the temperature low. The ridges should get smaller in the high temperature case.
    Last edited by amoose136; 07-24-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Hey guys,

I think the best way still is to just use less power.
    The resin won't cure completely and there will always be a wet layer.

Lowering the layers will be pretty much impossible with the current Peachy setup.

But let's wait first for Rylan to tell us about the true source of those riffles!

quertz

Quote Originally Posted by oninoshiko View Post
    I'm not saying it's not worth trying, but I would think the sound would also shake the mirror.
    I don't think shaking the mirror is a problem when the laser is off.

So you originally posted this list in July, I'm wondering how things stand at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post

1. Sometimes we still get holes in our prints.
    hacker solutions - slow your print down, help us figure out why this happens.
    long term solution - start doing r and d to the resin.

2. coil wires are finicky and can break off
    hacker solution - solder your coil connections, when coil wires break unravel the wire and make a new connection, buy a new coil They will be cheap.
    Long term solution - we want to put coils on there own pcb daughter boards, so they just plug in with a ribbon cable

3. some parts are very small and hard to assemble
    Hacker solution - tweezers + patients goes a long way, oh and we are sending some extra parts in case they fly out of your tweezers
    Long term solution - pre assemble some parts that are tricky for people to build.

4. salt water and hoses are messy
    Note: we have done alot to improve this already, its alot better than our beta units, but could still be better.
    Hacker solution - Put a towel down on your work bench and do all your printing on that towel.
    long term solution - developing a sealed dripper that is very easy to take apart and clean might help, so would a pump.

5. Calibration features are needed for accurate prints
    hacker solution - .... umm... dont print things that require accuracy
    long term solution - build the features and do a software update.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast