Close

Hybrid View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
    I would like to switch to smoothie but im afraid my limited skills wouldnt let me figure out how to make the changes necessary in the firmware text file to emulate what I have today
    Of course, the IRC channel and google forum would be there to help you out.

You could always download the firmware and starting looking at the configuration file, even before purchasing hardware. The documentation on the smoothieware.org site is pretty extensive - there are step by step guides for setting up a 3D printer, a laser cutter, and a CNC machine. Then there is also general detail provided for each of the configurable features in the firmware. Knowing how your printer is currently configured is actually a pretty strong plus, as opposed to starting from scratch. The pin numbering scheme took a bit to get used to, but other than that I don't recall struggling with it.

Note: If you use Simplify3D, you never want to admit to it in at least the Smoothieware IRC channel. Being closed and for-profit, the Smoothie developers outright declare Simplify3D as being incompatible with Smoothie and pretty much refuse to help those people using it.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-30-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarity