Close

Print quality issues. Critique my prints!

I'm new to the 3d printing scene. I bought a MF i3v 12" and I really enjoyed the build. Now I'm learning the basics of printing and how slicer/marlin work.

My prints look like they are being hit by the extruder and random layers will be off center making my walls lumpy and short bridges are drooping.

Printing with a E3D V6. 1.75mm Hatchbox ABS
    I'm using Slic3r with the setting from the build instructions.
    My bed is set to 110 with a glass top/glue stick
    My hot end is set to 240

What do you all think?
    image1.JPGimage2.jpgimage3.JPGimage4.JPGimage5.JPG

Engineer-in-Training
    If the hotend is hitting the part it could be over extrusion.

Bottom layer is not too bad. Just one hole seems to be non circular due to perimeter handling. I wouldn't know what to do on that one.

If I may, it looks like one side of the hex nut is not thick enough but that is more design than printing.

You say it looks like the layers are off center, you should check your belts and tighten them if they're loose.

If extruder is hitting the part, could be bed levelling or over extrusion.

How thick are the layers ? How fast are you trying to print ? What's the nozzle size ? That would help for troubleshooting.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah looking at the prints - could just be printing too fast.

Just because the manufacturers say it will print at 3 million millimetres a second, doesn't mean a damn thing.

Most of us print at somewhere between 40-80 mms. It does depend on material being used as well.
    As lamdaff says: the more information you give us, the better the chance of finding a solution :-)

Technologist
    As far as the design of that nut trap, the space is very limited with that threaded rod so close to the X-axis aluminum extrusions. There are at least a couple of ways to make that nut trap thicker, now that I look at it again. I could get rid of the connection along the side & have the nut trap above the alum. or I might could drop the nut trap below the bottom of the upper X-axis alum. extrusion. I would only have 1 support connection to the alum. if I put the nut trap above. My original thoughts on the remix of scratchhax's design were 5 of the 6 sides of that nut were thick enough to hold it in place.

I will have to revisit that design to see if either of those options are better. BTW, I have been using those nut traps for a couple of weeks now without any problems.

Thanks for the critique on the design.