I checked out the solidworks website and did an online quote and saw the price that Todd-67 mentioned for one standard license (just the design software). The price chris suggested was likely their "network licensing" which probably varies depending on how many people work at the company trying to get licensed. Or it could have included other programs such as simulation etc, in addition to the design program. There seems to be a lot of aspects to solid works and all combined, looks like it can get pretty expensive. If I start with solidworks standard would I be able to upgrade to professional or premium if necessary at any point in the future? Also, would I be able to add on the different programs like simulation, as needed? I assume the answer is yes but figured I'd ask anyways. Not exactly sure what level would be right for me; standard, professional or premium. I watched some of the videos on their site and liked the fact that the professional (and premium) had CAD libraries available as well as costing / quoting for certified manufactures built right into the system.

I see that the design software and simulation programs are separate and each has its own "subscription service" in addition to the license. What does the subscription service entail? Would they help you learn the program with step by step advice through different functions depending on what you need (kind of like a tutor), or is it mainly technical support for help with program glitches / crashes etc. Also, is the subscription service necessary to continue using the program after a year? Not sure if the license lasts a lifetime or if you need the subscription to continue using it year after year.

I also checked out the designspark program that dklassen suggested. That looks like a pretty great program with a lot of the same functions as the other programs like autodesk and solidworks. Still not sure if I would be able to start on a free program like that, then upgrade to a more professional program like solid works, and and be able to use the same files that I created on the original program.

I'm looking at this as a business venture and have high hopes of taking one or more of my designs to the manufacturing stage at some point. Because of that I am prepared to make an investment, but I'd like to make sure its the right software that can truly provide me with all the tools necessary to bring my ideas to life. At the same time, I realize there are a lot of free programs out there and wouldn't mind opting for something free if I can get all the same functions. I'm just a bit unsure of the differences between all the programs and if a program like solidworks is really worth the investment. I also am a bit worried about opting for something free now, spending a few years on it, only to realize I need the other functions then having to "start over" with the new program.