Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
Really we just want to know what are the best quantities to sell filament in. We stock in 1kg spools but think some people may prefer to buy smaller quantities. Rather than make up our own mind we thought we would ask, carry out, dare I say it, some market research.
- Your taking the right steps to becoming a great retailer; being that your reaching to the community for what they want in a desirable product. The answer to that question on the other hand for me is varied by the simple fact I desire both. I want to sample some product before committing to larger purchases. More product choices can only expand your customer base.

*Side Note: As a US customer you should try to get your shipping calculator expanded, it's a deterrent in having to send an email to get shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
And that is, the proper thing to do. And the answer is...ALL of it.
Analyze the various situations.

Why 1kg spools?
1. The customer doesn't want to fool with small pieces
2. The customer knows the filament
3. The customer knows they need large amounts of it
4. The customer has storage for the larger spools.

Why short pieces?
1. The customer doesn't know the color/properties of a filament and wants enough to print tests with
2. The customer doesn't need a lot of a specific one because they are doing a one-off project.
3. The customer doesn't want to store big spools, they want to buy as they need it (think small apartment dwellers).

Why short (almost) free samples?
1. Because yall (as in filament makers/retailers) almost never provide accurate color information.
2. Customer may need to get their client's approval of a color before purchasing a large quantity.
3. Customer may need to provide choices (ala a color swatch book) to their client for proposals or to choose from.
4. Maybe they are an artist/decorator type and want to look at other materials it will be used with (paint, stains, wood, tile, etc)
- Very well put, couldn't of said it better.