Close

Hybrid View

Student
    Yes I do. I was finally able to adjust my Esteps and have it save. I was able to get my Esteps alot closer to being dialed in, but still off by 1MM. Everytime I measure the filament and run out 100mm, I get a different number. I assume it takes a few tries to measure and adjust?

My main issue (aside from not calibrating the machine correctly once I got it assembled and going) was my extruder would jam up after a while. Currently trying to print a replacement extruder as I warped mine pretty badly attempting to print ABS. Took a heat gun to attempt to warp it back so it's somewhat usable, at least to be able to print a replacement piece.

Also my Z would move from print to print, been doing alot of reading on here and decided to try and setup the printer the right way from the beginning. Hope to get the Esteps dialed so it's only .1mm off and start with re-leveling my bed. I added a piece of cardboard with insulated tape to help retain heat (melted my J2 connector on the heated bed relay when trying to print ABS) and that's been working great. In the process I decided to raise my bed by adding a few washers under the solid corner, and now I'm thinking that I need to remove those washers as my bed isn't very ridged. Nothing like trial and error right?

Matt

Engineer-in-Training
    Well I was never able to get mine to come out correctly by following that guide. I think I ended up finding that my extrusion distance was changing by something like .22mm per 1 Estep change. When I would try to use the math that was shown in the tutorial it just didn't work. What I did was figured out how much the extrusion length was changing vs the amount I changed the Estep setting then used that number to dial it in. So say I changed the Estep setting by 25 and my extrusion length changed by 5.5mm. I took 5.5mm/25=.22 so that meant that my extrusion was changing by .22mm per Estep, I then figured out how far off my extrusion was and used the .22 mm per step to figure out how much I needed to change my Estep value. So say my extrusion length was off by 8mm I took 8mm/.22mm=36.36 so I would change the Estep by 36.36.

Those weren't my actual numbers just showing how I figured it out.

I really don't see how the math shown in the tutorial would ever work.

Thanks,
    Chadd

Quote Originally Posted by mnmattie View Post
    Yes I do. I was finally able to adjust my Esteps and have it save. I was able to get my Esteps alot closer to being dialed in, but still off by 1MM. Everytime I measure the filament and run out 100mm, I get a different number. I assume it takes a few tries to measure and adjust?

My main issue (aside from not calibrating the machine correctly once I got it assembled and going) was my extruder would jam up after a while. Currently trying to print a replacement extruder as I warped mine pretty badly attempting to print ABS. Took a heat gun to attempt to warp it back so it's somewhat usable, at least to be able to print a replacement piece.

Also my Z would move from print to print, been doing alot of reading on here and decided to try and setup the printer the right way from the beginning. Hope to get the Esteps dialed so it's only .1mm off and start with re-leveling my bed. I added a piece of cardboard with insulated tape to help retain heat (melted my J2 connector on the heated bed relay when trying to print ABS) and that's been working great. In the process I decided to raise my bed by adding a few washers under the solid corner, and now I'm thinking that I need to remove those washers as my bed isn't very ridged. Nothing like trial and error right?

Matt