Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Huh, how do I model this?

Hey,

I just started modelling a starship I built in a game I really like. I made the model in Sketchup, but now, when I try to print it, the printer won't do anything.
    Could you guys help me with this, I'd love to be able to print my "spaceships" and put them somewhere.

Coen

Here's the model I wanted to print
    Attached Images Attached Images

It maybe non manifold, did you run solid inspector on it. Perhaps it might help if you posted the Skecthup file.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah sketchup is not ideal for prinatble models.
    And you're going to need a bunch of supports on that too.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Did you export it to an STL? What slicer are you using? What printer?

Student
    I'm actually going through a similar problem myself, where I would try to print a very particular model, and after the job is sent to the printer [Da Vinci 1.0] The printer just goes back to the main menu, no bed/nozzle heating or anything. Every one of my other models have printed, but this model is the first that simply "befuddles" the printer and doesn't do anything.

Here's the STL [ran it through Microsoft's Model Repair Service as I saw it on another thread]: http://www.filedropper.com/cellphone...ungnexussfixed

This was made in TinkerCAD, which seems to be rather legit in making 3D printable models. Here it is in its original form:
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/9tI...amsung-nexus-s

Thanks for your time, everyone!

e: Initially, instead of the rear being a big solid block, it wasa slanted slab with a vertical slab in the middle to hold it up. That first design didn't print [same problem] and so now I have the big solid rear as the latest iteration which also doesn't print. My assumption is that the hollow half-donut [the "horn"] is the problem. Any ideas?
    Last edited by bigcatpants; 02-24-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: additional information which was thought to be pertinent

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Did you create this model? I don't use Tinkercad, so i'm unfamiliar with the tools. If you did create the model, then the obvious test would be to take out the "horn" and try to reprint it.

I ran your .stl file through Netfabb and it reported a valid mesh (no faults). For what it's worth, i ran the repair tool on it anyway, zipped it up, and attached it here. Try running this file - stranger things have happened.

Student
    Thanks for the response! I did create it, and you pose an obvious test: print the hollow half torus by itself! I'm not home at the moment so I'll get back to you folks when I do. I'll give your model a shot first though. Thanks again!

Student
    Nothing is explained. the torus prints, the base prints, the torus AND base? Nope! Nope all the way to the bank.

I blame the software, as it is a Da Vinci printer, after all. :-p

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Can you design the model such that there is only 90 degrees of torus attached to the base? Then have a matching 90 degree tunnel running through the base to meet up with the torus. What i'm trying to do is get rid of the walled tube portion of the torus tube which runs through the base. Methinks this is likely where your software is choking. Just a hunch.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I opened it in XYZ ware, rotated it 270 degrees in the Y axis, and it sliced fine.

What version XYZ ware are you using?

You may have to orient it differently though, the lip at the base may not print well, probably won't, too much overhang. If you stand it on end, with the cone at top, and print without supports it might work.

You really don't want to print this using supports, especially Davinci supports, as the leftover material would probably create baffles and muffle the sound, not redirect it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast