Close

Hybrid View

FF Creator Pro over a network connection?

I am getting a FF Creator Pro next Tuesday and was wandering if anyone has tried to set one up to work over a network connection. I have an ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router. It has a usb port for a printer built into it. Just wandering if anyone has a setup like that and if they have got their Creator Pro working over the network. I may give it a try.
    Last edited by rforeman; 02-09-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well the printer uses a simulated serial connection over the usb port. Not sure if that'll work through your router.
    Certainly worth a try - but given that I generally need to unplug and replug my usb connection on a regular basis, not sure if it'll be worth the hassle.

I have asocket extension from the back of the printer to a usb cable from the computer so the connection is just behind my keyboard.
    It'd be a real pita to do it any other way :-)

Engineer
    I have controlled mine using Teamviewer and controlling the PC I have next to my printer plugged in via USB. Then I can use Simplify3D to control from there. Although there is other free way's of doing it (S3D is paid) I had not used any.

Thanks for the replies. I am currently using S3D on my Da Vinci 1.0 and will be using it with my Creator Pro. I think I am going to give it a try when I get it and hope it works.

@ curious aardvark
    The router I have has a USB 2.0 port for printers and HDD.
    Last edited by rforeman; 02-09-2015 at 10:18 AM.

teamviewer to the connecting computer is atotally different matter. he's talking about directly networking the printer itself so he can access it via different computers and tablets/phones - presumably.

Also usb ports on routers are usually for attaching portable drives, not printers.

well the thing you're going to have trouble with is how to allocate a com port to a networked usb port.

S3d looks for the printer on a local com port - it's not looking for a usb or network/ip port.

Senior Engineer
    You will probably be able to do it with Openwrt and some reading.

Well this is may be a experiment I will play with after I get the printer setup and printing.

Thanks again.