Close

Thread: Windows 10

Hybrid View

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bits View Post
    If you are using a MakerBot Replicator 2 or FlashForge Creator Pro with Win10, is the printer working? Also, did Win10 install its new 3D printer support drivers for your printer?

Thanks - John
    I upgraded on my travel laptop just to try it out. Don't know if it installed any support drivers for 3D printing. I think you have to download an app to install the drivers. The printer I use is a Projet 1200 SLA machine connected to a Win7 computer with my CAD software.

Quote Originally Posted by bford903 View Post
    I upgraded on my travel laptop just to try it out. Don't know if it installed any support drivers for 3D printing. I think you have to download an app to install the drivers. The printer I use is a Projet 1200 SLA machine connected to a Win7 computer with my CAD software.
    I know with my Printrbot Metal and MakerBot as soon as I connected the printer Win10 installed special drivers (i.e. plug-and-play) and identify the 3D printer along side the standard computer printers. Great concept, if it worked. :-)

The custom drivers appear to make the printer work with Microsoft's free "3D Builder" app (https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/3D-Printing), but messes up Repetier, etc. that expect the printer to be on a USB-to-Serial port. And if you uninstall the new driver it will just reinstall itself when the printer gets connected. I am in the process of trying to uninstall the entire "Printrbot Driver Package", but this is a complex procedure.

Bottom line, stay on Win7 for now on the computer you use to interface your 3D printer.