Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

Anyone upgrading?

I'm holding off for the meantime...

Senior Engineer
    I thought Windows 10 was a lease thing?

Buy a new computer and get a year worth of lease then in a year your PC packs up until you agree to pay Micro$hite a monthly fee, same as they have done with Office.

If that is true you would have to be pretty desperate to upgrade.

Also wonder if "upgrade" is correct, that implies better and I have yet to see them improve anything with a new release.

Engineer
    I dont believe it to be a monthly fee thing since you will be able to buy it for a 100 bucks like any other windows system but there may be different purchase options like a subscription if you prefer that. Im not really sure what all the options are there. All the other previous windows are going to be unsupported just like xp. You will basically have to upgrade at some point. There really is no reason not to. Windows 10 is so much nicer in almost every way. I have been on the insider program for a year now so i have had it insalled on 3 machines for about that long. The only thing that i dont like is their mail app. I think that is terrible so i use 3rd party. I have never had any issues with any software not running. Keep in mind that the basic core of it is windows 8 and its just a user interface change for the most part so compatibility should be a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Buy a new computer and get a year worth of lease then in a year your PC packs up until you agree to pay Micro$hite a monthly fee, same as they have done with Office.
    Yeah Microsoft's silence on the matter speaks volumes.

Another huge no-no for me is the fact that all updates auto-install with no option to switch off updates. Not only would that destroy my data plan but Windows updates haven't always been known to 'work'.

I like Windows. But I would hate it if they went subscription only and not give me any way to manage my OS and my PC.

Engineer
    the update thing from what i am told is only for home users. so if your running the home edition everything will update in the background automatically. you will have no choice. if your on the pro or enterprise edition you can opt out of or delay updates for i think 8 mos. you can basically be on an 8 month slower release schedule so any bugs with updates are worked out before you see them. i used to like windows, then i went to a mac and like it so much better. i still have 3 windows machines though that use daily and i can say what they have done with it its definitely alot better. alot of nice features. i think the apps have gotten a little too clean though if you ask me. they eliminate almost all buttons so you look at an app and have no idea what do do because there is nothing to click on. well atleast not like it used to be. its a good os though. much better than all the past ones. i havent found any bugs or apps that dont work yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    the update thing from what i am told is only for home users. so if your running the home edition everything will update in the background automatically. you will have no choice. if your on the pro or enterprise edition you can opt out of or delay updates for i think 8 mos.
    In principle I disagree with this (Microsoft's approach). Look at the 3D printing world, any product that takes from a consumer's freedom to chose ends up badly for the consumer. Makerbot, Da Vinci, 3D Systems, Stratasys, to name the common names. Its the reason why other brands thrive.

I use Windows 7 which I think is amazing. I have it on 3 of my 4 PCs, the last having Windows 8, Not a fan of 8. But if 10 will restrict how I use my own PC then I won't upgrade.

First prize would be to run Linux but that doesn't support my CAD software.

Senior Engineer
    Time to change your CAD software.

Not that simple. Catia is required by the aircraft OEMs, can't use anything else. The other two (Creo and Geomagic) are used for all jig and mould design and there are years and years worth of work tied up in them. Plus they're fully paid for. Switching now is gonna cost a massive amount of cash and time.

Besides, what pro CAD system run on Linux? SolidEdge is the only one I know of...

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Windows 10 sounds similar to Xbox Live. Pay a fee to get all of the extra features, or stick with the limited free version.

I'm upgrading on my travel laptop because I really don't like Windows 8.

My CAD computer runs Win7, and I've been really happy with it so I see no reason to change.

Quote Originally Posted by bford903 View Post
    My CAD computer runs Win7, and I've been really happy with it so I see no reason to change.
    I'm in the same boat. I will be following Ten Forums closely though for user feedback...

Today is the launch btw...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast