Close

Threaded View

Student
    Follow Stwert On Twitter Add Stwert on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    Well, not so fast on my part because I did more digging and while I do not know Python I can read most computer languages and if you look in the platforms.py hardly any machine uses COOLING_FAN_PWM. Not the FF, Wanhao, even some Replicators so all of these printers do not have a define for COOLING_FAN_PWM and without that the fan is just on or off.

What Qidi did was just %scons platform=Replictor something. So, they never made a profile for themselves but neither did all of these other printers either. I did see Azteeg X3, mighty_one-corexy, and mighty_two had the COOLING_FAN_PWM define but not another printer brand has the define. So, I am freaking shocked. Seriously, are we sure the mightyboard the Qidi uses can do PWM for that fan? I am in shock because all of these people out there with any other printer besides the Azteeg or the mighty1/2 based boards all are on or off. Now I am curious if this board can because this is way too crazy that only three systems out there can based on what I am seeing.

Go have a look at platforms.py to see what I mean as the COOLING_FAN_PWM define simply does not exist for almost every single printer out there based on the mightyboard.

I bet they used this one and if not something very close to it - 'mighty_one-2560-max31855' :
    { 'mcu' : 'atmega2560',
    'programmer' : 'stk500v2',
    'board_directory' : 'mighty_one',
    'defines' : [ 'BUILD_STATS', 'ALTERNATE_UART', 'MAX31855',
    'AUTO_LEVEL', 'PSTOP_ZMIN_LEVEL', 'HAS_RGB_LED',
    'PLATFORM_SPLASH1_MSG=\\\"Sailfish Replicator1\\\"',
    'PLATFORM_THE_REPLICATOR_STR=\\\"Replicator 1\\\"',
    'EEPROM_MENU_ENABLE', 'RGB_LED_MENU' ]
    },

Notice it is missing a lot of stuff but, just like our front panel, has the RGB LED yet our LEDS are just directly tied in with the mightyboard 24v cooling fan.

There's definitely something odd about it, for so many of them not to be using it. Unless it's because the 7.8 f/w isn't finalized but than why use it in the first place. some of the others that have it enabled seem to be using the same board as the Qidi.
    From looking at the board the Qidi is using it should theoretically be possible to control speed on the cooling fan. But something just isn't right and I can't put my finger on it yet. I'm digging more to see if anything makes sense.

There is this from one of the Google groups,

G-code control is hard because there is no place for fan speed control in the x3g protocol and it is hard to add it without breaking protocol compatibility

The same person though says he's running a custom version to allow setting the speed, but that's all that's said.
    Last edited by Stwert; 07-03-2016 at 04:03 AM.