Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
The ones Bethseda was selling with Fallout4 are made to hold a smartphone...the top 'screen' plate pops open so you can put your phone in. There is a (free) pipboy app you put on the phone so it has all the screens/functions as pipboy, can even link the app to the game as use the app instead of the ingame pipboy.
Since I am gonna be scanning parts from a Bethseda one its gonna work the same.
However there will be some electronics in the build not handled by the phone...but only 2 amber color LED indicators.

There are a couple things I do not think will print well. The main things that worry me are the 2 'gauges' (handled by decals on the bethseda version). Dont have a vinyl cutter yet....so probably gonna pull the textures from the game and print on transparent photo paper...glue em on the paint and clear-coat over em.
Also there are some things I am probably gonna 'fake' a bit. Like the little wire spool on the back for the relay plug. I'm not gonna bother making a little spool....the 4in or so of wire showing is good enough for me. The ejection pegs for the holotape deck.....to complex, to small, to much a pain to replicate I'm guessing. Probably gonna replace that with a rubberband system to pop the tape out.

If the scans come out good and the first one I make comes out good I may make a few to sell....but SHHHHH....don't tell bethseda =P
I do recall the smartphone pipboy which looked a little gimmicky but it was probably functional in a lot of ways. Agreed that with an assembly similar to what you're doing it should have more than just printed parts for the features. Sounds really cool and the wire showing should give the impression it's a spool if done properly. Rubber band or spring loaded should definitely work for the pop out parts. I'd be interested to see pictures of all the parts before assembly and then after assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stwert View Post
Just had my first bash at stripping down the extruder (not really by choice.) wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. But sure enough I've got myself a knackered thermocouple.

Anyone know of a UK/European supplier for them, the wait time from China is a bit on the lengthy side.

Cheers.
Very nice work, unfortunately I can't help on the supplier question though.