Close

Threaded View

Technician
    Dang, and I just finished printing and dry fitting the itty bitty dual. I guess the obvious questions to decide whether to redo it or not while waiting for motors are: How much am I going to print flexible material and how much x-axis travel is lost? Only I can answer the first part. Can you make sure I'm not off the deep end in my analysis of the second part?

My machine currently homes with the endstop as far right as it will go and the nozzle directly over the edge of the glass. It travels roughly 238mm (10" model) before the carriage hits the left z axis parts, but there is another 10-12mm of glass that is not used. Switching to dual extruders without doing anything else, the left nozzle will home at x=10 (itty bitty dual) or x~=13.5 (itty bitty flex) and the right nozzle will be the same distance off the glass in free air (-10 or -13). At the far left position the left nozzle may actually use the currently dead glass, but the right nozzle will max around 228mm (itty bitty) or 225mm (flex). So in either case the left nozzle will have basically the same travel I have now, but the right nozzle will limited.

If I can redesign the endstop I may be able to move the left nozzle back to the edge of the glass at home and so would get actually more x travel than I have now (hopefully the full advertised 250mm), but the right nozzle will still be limited to max x=228/225mm. Can't say that I care much about the 3mm loss on the secondary nozzle for itty bitty double vs itty bitty flex, but will have to keep in mind that only the left nozzle can reach >225mm.

Does that sound right?

All of this assumes, of course, that the nozzles are centered on the carriage and that nothing else (motors, etc) interferes with the frame.
    Last edited by jasay; 04-06-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grammar