Close

Threaded View

Forgive me for not reading this entire thread. Yet as a business owner myself here are some things you need to ask yourself.

1) Competition : This is the most important question. You need to ask around and see whom out there is doing the same thing or offering something close to the same idea of yours. If you are in a city, competition may be stiff. Fortunately for me, the nearest competitor is a good two hour drive.

2) Cost : How much are you into the printer and all its materials to get going? If you do this you should not plan to finance it and have a income solely based on the ability of others to make money. You will need to save up, make a plan for how it is going to be run.

3) Location : These produce odors. Some good some bad. You will need to think of where it can be located that you can get to to do the job. Also some printers are noisy, so can you endure the noise if it is in your bedroom? Also be aware some users have had these printers go up in flames. So plan on it having flame proof location and a means to encapsulate it so it doesnt burn your house down.

4) Plan : What is your long term objective? Where do you see this company being in 2 years with zero customers? Lets face it, just because you have an idea doesnt mean it will work. Can this venture of yours collect dust if it doesnt get regular customers?

5) have a backup : This is alot of the above stuff. Dont plan on this being the sole industry to pay the bills. Do this on the side. If it takes off then you can decide if this is the job for you. I myself have other things I do. I mow lawns in the summer, I plow driveways in the winter. I have a arc welder and do some fabrication. There is a metal lathe downstairs that can turn out parts if I need. Everything I have makes some money, but it doesnt make me rich. So dont have rosey glasses because some one is posting "you too can make money".

6) Practicality : Are you doing this because of the thread where some one is saying "you can make money from home"? There are alot of people that are out there that have said that all through history. I myself am 55 years old. I remember lots of "stories" of you can be rich if..... Heck back in the 1990's there were companies that said you could make money with a computer and a printer. They made more money just selling a cheap PC with a terrible printer to people whom thought they could make money at home. Your not the first or the last to think this is a way to make ends meet. I bet you have these items right now and can see how much money you are making with them. Get the picture yet? If you have it, doesnt mean money.

7) Goal : What are you going to do with this? Can you start as a hobby and work it? Is your plan to create a print farm? Have you figured all your costs to operate this? Can you plunk down $50 immediately because a job wants a specific color tomorrow and the extruder you have wont be able to make what you need now? Can you do anything immediately on a high demand?

8) Waste : How much of this plan will become stuff in the trash can? Ventures are fun at the beginning. But alot of things may soon end in the trash can. What is going to happen in your life when it all goes south?

I myself am only a small business man. Your welcome to your own views and I respect that. I am not saying you cant do it. I am saying dont expect this to make money just because you have it. Diversity is where it is at. If you see this as something that helps what you do great.
    Last edited by -willy-; 12-31-2014 at 06:06 AM.